Monday, July 21, 2008

Holy Heat!!!!

The weather this weekend was HORRIBLE! It was so hot & humid out I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even go to the pool because I couldn't stand sitting outside for longer than 5 minutes. My Mother and I did have a very nice day together on Saturday. I booked us two massages (mine prenatal of course) at Fusion spa in Denville. I wanted to treat her to thank her for everything she did for the shower. I have to say that was the best massage I've ever gotten! Probably because I REALLY needed it! She worked out every knot I had in my back and for the rest of the weekend I felt great! I may need to get one more before Little C arrives!!! After that we went for pedicures and then out to lunch. And that was about all I did outside all weekend.


Now I'm starting to get other things prepared for my little one. I boiled and sterilized all her bottles and paci's. All her clothes, wash clothes, burp clothes, bibs, sheets etc. are washed and waiting for her. The two shelves I ordered for her room came on Friday. They're really cute! They need to be painted white though. I put one coat on them already so I just have to finish those and get them hung up. I started getting stuff together for my hospital bag. This way if I do go early everything is right there for me to pack up and take. We still have to get the car seats in though. Art's going to put the one in the truck by the end of the week but we have to wait to put the other one in the Volvo. It has to go in to get fixed so I don't want the car seat in there while it's in for repairs.

So this post is going to be LONG! I wrote the stuff above on Monday and it's now Wednesday and I have LOTS to complain about!!!

I had my 35 week appointment yesterday. I asked the dr. yesterday if it was ok if she could sign me out on August 8th. She said she can not medically sign me out unless I'm having a problem with my pregnancy (high blood pressure, bed rest etc). Simply being swollen or tired or having back aches is not a reason for them to put me out and I'd have to work up until my due date. But she said it depends on my company's policy. If I'm entitled to 2-4 weeks before my due date (which I am) and all she has to do is sign a paper saying yes I'm pregnant and yes I'm 37 weeks and that's the reason I'm going out than she's fine with that. But if she has to give a medical diagnosis she can not do it. I went to talk to my HR and she called our disability plan for me (we have a private disability firm, not state disability). They said it's basically between me and my dr. to decide when I'm "unable" to work. My dr. told me to bring the paperwork with me to my appointment next Thursday so I'm going to do that and see if she has a problem signing it. Art was soooo mad leaving there yesterday. He called the girl he works with who just came back from Maternity to find out from her what her dr's policy was. She said she was out 2 weeks before with no medical reason and she had a perfectly normal pregnancy. Well guess what...she goes to the same practice and sees the same doctor!!! I'll be sure to bring that up next week! I was sooo upset at the thought of working another month! I can't make it another month here. I'm so uncomfortable already. I left early twice last week because my back was killing me!

In the mean time I went in to talk to my boss and told him the story. He said if my dr. doesn't sign me out then he'll work it out so that I can start working from home and he'll be sure to get me out of here on the 8th. I'm really lucky I have a great boss. He's been great throughout the whole pregnancy. He laughed when I told him if my dr. doesn't sign me out I have to work until the baby is born. He said he's never heard of anything like that before and he has three kids. I guess that's why he's so understanding.

On a better note, my work shower was yesterday. It was so nice! My department got me a bucket full of goodies for the baby and a hand painted rocking bench and step stool to match. It's so adorable. My boss said it's for Little C and her first boyfriend to sit and rock in...LOL! I have to bring it back to the store tomorrow so the lady can put the name on it since no one here knows the name. The other staff got me more clothes, towels, wash clothes and a $200 gift card to babies r us. Everyone was so generous! And they invited my Mother so she was there! I walked into the room and my Mother was sitting there...LOL! That was a great surprise!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Katie, love your blog! I just wanted to say I feel your pain about maternity leave. It gave me so much anxiety. Your story is identical to mine: OB will write "advancement of pregnancy" on the disability form, but my company's private disability firm would deny that because pregnancy isn't a disability :( My boss let me work from home 2 weeks before my due date, she was also shocked that the company expected a normal pregnancy to work until the due date!
We just have to be thankful for nice bosses :) I wasn't willing to risk turning in a disability form like that knowing it would probably be denied and then I'd lose out on 2+ weeks pay.
Hope you're still feeling well!! Colleen724